Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chance Encounter As Planned (Godric)
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
Godric was curious about what she meant when she said, 'enjoy being children peacefully'. Were younger people supposed to be different from adults? As long as he could remember, his life had been spent either studying or working towards his knighthood. There had been no toys in his life - other than the wooden sword he'd carried for the years leading up to when he'd been granted a dagger to carry at age seven. And then there'd been the practice wand he'd worn on his other hip. Nothing magical about it other than the fact that his mother had made him use it when practicing the symbols that would eventually cast magic.

But what was it to be a child? A real child without responsibility. He'd met so few in his life. Helga's children were probably the closest things he had seen and even they had had responsibility from early ages. Being the children of minor nobles carried weight. And commoner children had it worse, caring for whole households while their parents worked the fields or servicing others.

It was simply an odd thought. It didn't seem very-Vikinglike, considering how successful they were in their endeavors. Astrid was proof of that - so young and yet already an accomplished healer and musician. Surely they, too, encouraged their children's lives from a young age so they could be successful explorers or warriors. And they were definitely successful warriors. Godric had faced youths on the battlefield that barely looked old enough to shave, let alone hold a sword and yet they did so well.

So what was the concept she spoke of? How odd.

Her next words went on to prove that she, too, had had no childhood? Considering she had turned out so well, surely she could see the merit of wanting her siblings to have the same opportunities that she had had. Or so he would have thought. And to think of refusing an offer that would further their education, their lives as this would - his parents would have been outraged.

But then he thought of little Gwen - when his brother had tried to marry her off in order to put an end to her unique way of living. Gwen had always been able to say no, and have it more tolerated by their family. Had Godric pulled half of the nonsense that she had, his father would have had him whipped in an instant.

"In spite of your troubles, you seem to have turned it all into quite a successful life," he offered. It seemed true. She'd mentioned hardship but here she was with a successful position as well as two back-ups in case the school failed. Obviously she had worked hard to be the person she was so why not push her siblings in the same manner so that she didn't need to run down and check on them? It seemed a puzzle, something he had never been particularly good at. He left that sort of thing to Rowena and Salazar.

Godric was taken aback when she asked about him. What to say really?

He finished his drink, offering it to the tender to fill it back up. With a full one in front of him, he took a long drag from the mug while thinking of what to say. "I'm not quite certain what could really compare to your many talents." Godric was naturally quiet about his best skills, having used them many times for his own purposes for reasons he did not care to share. Even his friends weren't aware of them all. Something relaxed - silly, even, would be best. "Well, I can..." he thought for a moment and finally shook his head. "I'm afraid I'm a rather boring specimen. My life has been spent preparing for one thing and, I suppose, it's made me a rather dull man. You see I'm here and not at home with a wife or lover. I'm afraid none will tolerate my love for animals and swordplay and little else. And lengthy time away from home certainly doesn't help.

"However, if you're ever interested in conning some people," Godric leaned in closer to share a little secret. "I can throw daggers with my left foot. And eight out of ten times, I can hit the center target." Cut his feet to hell in the process but he could do it! He gave her a playful wink at the end. If she'd traveled anywhere at all, she'd know the value of a good con.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chance Encounter As Planned (Godric) - by Godric Gryffindor - 10-08-2022, 04:28 PM