Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Enchanted Ceiling (OPEN)
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 180
Astrid just barely heard Merrick's words when she felt herself collide with something solid, warm, and embraced in a familiar blended scent as they exhaled a breath."Uff da" she exclaimed in a muttered tone when her body made contact with the strong yet soft surface standing in her path. Taking a half step back to help steady herself, Astrid tilted her head back to see what or who she had run into and discovered it was Godric, his arms quite nearly around her in the attempt to catch her if she had fallen from the impact. Thankfully her training would prevent such an embarrassing scene but that didn't make the sight of his arms so close to her lessen the mild increase of her heart beating in her chest.

Right away their eyes met if only for a split second and she couldn't believe out of anyone she could have literally run into it had been Godric. Just as she managed to convince her heart and libido there wasn't going to be anything happening between them and she was better off forgetting the image of his body she had glimpsed in the mirror and the thoughts created by her lovesick imagination with a cruel sense of humor painting images of enjoying it all to herself or she would never eventually find someone of her own. Probably someone closer to her reach then he was as well. Someone of his position and status had to be married at the very least, lucky damn woman whoever she was. 

Astrid was glad at least to see his eye had healed up nicely and no longer looked black and blue. It was always a pleasant feeling to see her work take effect quickly like that, making her proud of her strength and skill level she had worked hard to reach for. She couldn't quite say the same for the injury to his side, the sudden contacting touch of their bodies had been to quick for her to tell if it was causing him any phantom pain or not. Not that she was going to examine him here and now anyway, it was hard enough keeping her calm mood as it was with the images of his time in the infirmary filling her mind again.

"Forgive me Sir Griffindor, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." She said politely, taking a full step back this time and managed to pull her gaze away from his when he looked down at her again. A little more space between them was probably good, his scent was strongly trying to draw her in closer to him. It was too tempting to want to tease him again or had she remembered to bring the coin he had left her, now would have been a good time to shove it back into his hand. Oh well, she would go through with her other idea instead. It was better sounding and more fun anyway. "Sir Raine didn't say anything wrong, the fault is all mine. I just thought I had taken up too much of Sir Raine's time as he was working and decided to take my leave to let him resume. I promised Lady Hufflepuff I would check the gardens one last time before the evening feast and didn't want to worry her for taking so long to do so. I had paused hearing Sir Raine and thought at first he was a house elf in need of help so I paused to see if he needed a hand" she continued trying to clear up the misunderstanding. 

The two seemed close so she didn't want to stir up anything between them because of this minor incident. Though she was taking the blame, she wanted to pin some on Godric too, it was like he was trying to run into her on purpose after his hasty retreat from the infirmary earlier but for the reason why she wasn't sure just yet. It only further fueled her desires to tease him, maybe even let slip how much of a reaction he'd had to the potion she had used on his side injury.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
Godric gave them both a chance to speak, nodding as Astrid babbled a little about the greenhouses that were well in hand, as far as he knew. Helga liked to keep a tight hand on things when they concerned her. Those greenhouses, while shared by both Sal and Helga, were still mostly her domain. To hear that someone else was being allowed in there just to supervise was a surprise and it was certainly the first he was hearing about it.

Hopefully Helga had sent her in there and she wasn't just going in to take for her own medical stores. While eventually, they would grow all of their own ingredients here and be self-sufficient, they weren't quite that far along yet.

However, he wasn't going to stand here and accuse the girl. He would be mentioning it to Helga later though, just to be on the safe side. And if there was a problem, he would let Rowena and Helga deal with it. Seemed a fair division of labor. He and Salazar oversaw the male teachers and the ladies tended to the female staff so there could be no accusation of sexist behavior.

"Well, I suppose that you had best get on with it. Supper should be starting soon and we should all be cleaned up and presentable." Then he realized what he had said. "Not that you're not presentable. I just meant if you were heading out to the greenhouse. Because, you know, there's dirt and everything. And we want to show these students a good first impression!" He backed away from her another step but then the view of the ceiling of the Great Hall caught his eye, both of which widened in surprise.

Godric moved around Astrid, moving into the Great Hall and looked up. He strode up between the two middle tables, looking at the stars above. For a moment, he was in awe and then he came back to himself. "Alright, which of you is going to have to explain this to Helga?" He asked. "Because it's bloody brilliant but this is her space and we're not allowed to change anything without her approval.

"Granted, I'll go with you and tell her how amazing it looks but this is her room and we have to respect that. Still..." His eyes went back up to study all the constellations shining so clearly.
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
Merrick waited patiently as Godric sort of bumbled through conversation with Astrid, finding it amusing to watch. He could see the similarity between the man and his attractive sister, who seemed to have a bit of an endearing awkwardness to her as well. Then again, Merrick was just as awkward around her so he couldn't judge much. He let them talk, politely looking away while he idly listened.

When the Founder took in the ceiling, he grinned with pride and chuckled softly. "Aye, tis me doin'," he said. "Wit' Lady 'ufflepuff's permission o' course. When she 'eard tha' I could de this, she insisted."

"D'ye really li'e it?" he asked, wanting to be absolutely sure his friend was pleased with the results. He didn't want to do a shoddy job as he liked it here and wanted to stay. He wanted to prove his worth as a teacher and wizard. To leave his mark was important to him, especially as a second son. There were only so many options available to him after all.
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads

There was a moment of silence as Astrid looked at Godric as he seemed to be forming his response. Unlike when she had waited for Merrick's response there was something different about the way Godric was looking at her. Though she was still filled with the desire to tease him, she couldn't help but feel exposed at the same time. As if her guard was suddenly not around her where it usually was. No one had done that before and it wasn't a feeling she like to feel in such a public place. She was tempted to fold her arms across her chest as a sort of physical guard but that may draw more attention to it and potentially make things worse.

When he did finally speak, thankfully they feeling seemed to subside as he fumbled through his answer. She smiled gently and held back on a chuckle rising up in her throat, remembering the same reaction a few hours ago up in the infirmary and how she thought it was adorable both then and now. "I understand Sir Griffindor. Today is an important day and we can't very well go giving the children any misinformation on their first impression of us. We don't want to go scaring or worrying them should we be for example a little dirty from some gardening or roughed up from a little drunken tumble. Best to start off with our best foot forward and professionally presentable after all" She replied, holding back on fully outing the man on his state of appearance she had found him in hours ago. Though it was very tempting to, she didn't want to given it could be seen as inappropriate or rude by the quiet Merrick witnessing it all.

She was still a bit out of place right now, outnumbered and unsupportive compared to the rest of the adults here now who seemed to know well or be related to one another. She could very well lose her job here and now if she said the wrong thing so until she could firmly plant her place here she needed to be careful of what she said and did. That included any romantic entanglement with technically one of her bosses, no matter how much she wanted to run her hands along his bare skin. Shush heart your not helping.

When Godric moved past them and stepped into the room, Astrid watched him as he looked over the ceiling. She figured that was her cue to go and made to take a step when his words paused her action. Before she could respond however Merrick explained he had done it with permission from Helga so she kept her mouth shut and took a small half step back in the corridor. She really wanted to get out and double check the greenhouses one last time before the sunlight was completely gone. Helga had given her permission earlier when she asked to help out the overwhelmed woman with something and she just wanted to be sure that it was all still just as good as the last time she checked. Rowena had faith in her abilities so she wanted to show the others that she was capable and reliable for more. 

"If I happen to find Lady Hufflepuff outside in the greenhouses I'll be sure to send her your way. I imagine with how overwhelmed she is, she will be thrilled to come and see what you've done. Its a breath-taking sight" she said with a subtle hint she was about to take her leave.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

"Oh, it's definitely an improvement on the ceiling we had. This is completely...just fascinating. I'm just worried that people will be so distracted looking at the stars that they'll forget to eat! It's just...eye catching and wondrous, seeing the heavens so clearly," Godric professed, looking from the starry sky back to his friend.

It was then that Nurse Gudrun's words resonated with him about making a good impression; that slight jab at him for this morning. His eyes narrowed on her for a moment. The last thing he needed was her running off and telling tales to the others. While they weren't false tales, that didn't mean he wanted them circulating about his friends that he was risking his reputation the night before their opening day.

But what could he do to convince her to keep her mouth shut? He didn't exactly know her all that well. Technically, he'd bribed her with the coin but obviously if that didn't keep her from mentioning it in front of Merrick, it likely wouldn't keep her from telling the others. He should have given her more - made it clear that this was a matter that needed to stay between them lest it get him into trouble. Salazar would likely guess but he couldn't stand to have the disappointed looks on Helga and Rowena's faces directed at him.

Well, the simple fact was, there was nothing he could say. He would just have to hope it all work out and deal with the consequences when they came. Wouldn't be the first time and, knowing his history, it wouldn't be the last. "Yes, I suppose you should then." Godric said in dismissal, his attention returning to the sky above. "See you at supper." With that, he gave his attention back to Merrick and the newest addition to the castle.

"So what brought this about?"
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

Merrick was pleased as punch at Godric's awe of his hard work. With a grin, he looked back up at the ceiling as the other man seemed to dismiss the nurse. He hoped Helga Hufflepuff would be as glad of how it turned out should the lass find track her down in her romp among the plants.

"Well, t'was ye sister tha' brough' this 'bout," he admitted a bit sheepishly. "She visited me tower las' nigh' fer some fresh air an' I showed 'er the charm te as' 'er opinion on if it was a goo' way te teach on nigh's we cannay see the stars. This mornin' she convinced me te tell Lady 'ufflepuff o' it, an' it wen' from there."

He had nothing to hide from his friend, especially where his sister was concerned. As much as he found himself admiring the lass, he figured he had no chance with such a fine woman. Besides, it had been Godric who had pawned her off on Merrick this morning for wand duty, so he only had himself to blame for them spending time together when it really came down to it. No, the best Merrick could hope for was friendship with Lady Moore for she was too fine of a creature for more with a second son like him.
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads

Astrid realized she had the right idea about not outing Godric on the events of earlier that day. While it seemed like it went over Merricks head it didn't over the intended target and he didn't react the way she assumed he would. Rather then get a bit flustered or fumbly, he turned to her with his eyes slightly narrowed and it made her heart skip in her chest but not in a good way. Was he mad at her for what she said? He could tease her about getting cleaned up after working in the garden but she couldn't return the tease back on the state she had come across him in? How was that fair? It seemed to go unnoticed by the third person in the room so there was no harm on the matter being questioned. 

Her body tensed up a bit as her smile faded and she curled one of her hands into a fist as she took on a note of seriousness in her expression. Now that it wasn't the two of them alone was he behaving more to his position to keep up appearances. Even the tone of voice he had used to dismiss her had a ring of entitlement to it. Astrid should have expected him to have two faces and an ego to match his title, probably a good thing she hadn't given in to urges and jumped into his bed. Jerk was probably not as good in that department as she was imagining anyway, he wife could keep the jerk. It wasn't like she was flat out calling him out on what happened, just simple teasing. No worse then the kids now staying in the school did to one another. Fine, if he wanted to act like a spoiled two faced lord then she would treat him as such.

Astrid held on to the small bud of anger in her chest from his reaction, not wanting to get herself into trouble if it decided to burst to life. Her blue eyes flashed an icy tone as he didn't even wait for her to respond to his dismissal and turned away from her, his tone hinting further into his higher rank above her. "I'll take my leave then... my lord" she said, unable to hide the hint of ice on her tone as she said the last two words. She still planned on messing with him with her plan to give him the coin back but maybe with a bigger audience he would make a fool of himself when he reacted. At least give her something to hold against him to use later if this was going to be their interactions in the future. Turning, she walked away down the corridor without another word.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

Godric blinked a few times, unsure where the m'ilord bit. He looked at Merrick, a little confused. She had sounded irritated with him. He knew because people were usually irritated with him for one reason or another. The thing he didn't know was what he had done this time. Maybe his friend had an idea because he was fairly lost.

Was she trying to jab at him for some reason because he was the only one of his friends who wasn't really titled? Not his fault he was a second son. In fact, Godric had always preferred it. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been able to be here. He would have been stuck with that blasted dukedom while his friends had all the fun starting the school. What a tragedy that would have been.

And him - as a duke? Or even a lord, like Salazar, was laughable. Only an idiot would give him land to manage when he hadn't the mind for it. No his brain was wired for different things - like dueling and fighting and magic. Those were his wheelhouse.

But seriously...if that was the way women acted (and he was well aware that it was quite often the case), he was rather lucky to be unmarried.

Then his mind went back to what Merrick had said before the nurse left - about Gwen suggesting this. It was rather surprising, considering that she usually wasn't creative with this sort of thing. Granted, Merrick had done the hard work. She'd merely adjusted his original idea. However, the fact that the two of them had been consorting before school had even started.

Maybe a normal brother would have been concerned; leveled a threat or two to make sure Merrick knew that little sisters and fellow teachers were off-limits. Godric wasn't that responsible however. What was wrong with a small friendship between the pair. Nothing would come of it so there was nothing to worry about...as long as his brother didn't find out she'd been seeing unmarried young knights alone at night, Godric wouldn't have to get the lecture about it. And then worry about having to find another writing teacher because there was no way Gifford would leave her here if he heard of a whisper of inappropriate behavior on her part.

"Well, it seems to have worked out. Helga will be quite pleased with it, as am I. Rowena might not say anything, likely because she'll be jealous she didn't think of it first but don't take it to heart. She's that way with everyone. But that will just be her way of complimenting the work - saying it's good enough to be her own." Godric winked at him reassuringly.
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

Merrick had to admit he was relieved that Godric took it so well. If it had been any other man, he likely would have been in for a stern talking to no matter how respectful he had been around her. He grinned a little brighter when the man furthered his praise and extended it to the likely reactions of the other Founders.

"I 'ope they li'e it indeed," he said proudly as he gazed upward again. "Tis probably me greatest wor' an' tha' be sayin' somethin'. 'opefully the students will nay be disappointed when I repeat this in class as the weather allows."

Turning a glance back at Godric, he stood proudly there. "Oh! Befer I ferget," he began. "I 'ope ye d'nay min' but I sent wor' te Maximus 'bout a book 'e'd be interested in readin' an' tha' 'e should come fetch it. Tis nay true o'course, but 'e needs someplace te go te 'eal an' if 'e be 'ere there be a better chance fer o'r father te agree te send me sister as a student." His grin turned a bit mischievous as he explained what he had done. Godric was familiar with Maximus, having met him a few times while traveling with Merrick.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

Godric clapped Merrick on the shoulder. "The kids will likely be in too much awe of seeing it so clearly. How many do you really think had had the opportunity to actually sit out and study the stars in any setting? People are always so busy, trying to make lives for themselves that they just don't notice the beauty right above them. I'll bet it's the first thing they notice when they walk in and if not, it's because they are blind.

"I know it'll keep my interest." He reassured his friend. "And I dunno...luring that baron's daughter into the stables with you was some pretty smooth talking. While this is magnificent, she was rather reserved. The fact you talked her into it..." Godric gave a booming laugh. The talk that all knights engaged in - they all did it; talked of their conquests on and off the battlefield. And sometimes, things got a little exaggerated but if that was the case, then so be it. Who was really the wiser? He knew he'd done some of his own, from time to time.

When Merrick went on to mention Maximus, Godric became a little more reserved. They were switching to business, which meant the sober, serious man who had been given charge of a quarter of this castle. He nodded as Merrick explained what he'd done, he pulled his hand away from the man's shoulder to consider the proposal.

Yes, he agreed that Moira should be at the castle. The Raines were a prominent wizarding family and having not only one of their children on the staff but their youngest and only daughter as a student...definitely a feather in their cap. It was just the fact that with Moira came Maximus. While Godric had no issue with his friend's brother, the man was so staid and reserved; hardened by the wars he had fought. It was something that Godric could relate to a personal level and yet, the two had never really clicked the few times their paths had crossed. All of their interactions had been filled with forced civility, because that was what was expected of two noble sons.

Still, Moira was the key here and if it made Merrick happier to have his brother close, then Godric couldn't blame him. And it was a rather good ruse to get the man here. There were few other reasons that Maximus would come this far.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "That's the nice thing about being a sibling, huh. Knowing the exact point of pressure to push to get the other to do what you want, eh? Well, if he comes, then he comes. However, have you talked to the others about your brother working here? What would he even do? I could always use help with defense but from what I understand, that's an area where Maximus is having difficulties. If you want him to heal..."