Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dare of Dawn (Helga)
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 180
Helga tried to give Godric the benefit of his lack of table manners for his excitement of having Maximus here. She shook her head a little, pulling out her wand and flicking it towards Godric to hover a napkin in her friends direction. While she was glad for his healthy appetite she wouldn't stand for long with a messy eater as he attempted to talk and eat at the same time.

"I didn't say we had gender exclusive classes Godric dear, just that its not always easy to engage certain genders in some of the classes that until they came here may have felt out of place. The girls are having to warm up to the idea of a physically defensive class where many are learning to hold a weapon for the first time and how to use it should they need to defend themselves without a wand while the boys have to put aside their tough pride to learn how to magically clean, sew, and cook. Lessons both groups would do well to learn while they are here and certainly not exclusive to one gender or background" she explained to clarify her words as the pair ate.

When one or two of the dishes went empty, she calmly gave it a tap with her wand and it popped out of sight and a moment later with a second pop a fresh and full dish appeared in its place. If the two wanted more than one serving their was certainly enough to fill even Godrics bottomless stomach. It warmed her heart to see healthy eaters, those that ate and let the meal work its own sort of magic on healing and soothing the spirit. It had been so good looking around the great hall their first evening feast and watching the faces express content and joy as they ate their fill, both student and staff at that. She hoped it would work just as well on Maximus now as he sat here eating. From what she remembered of her conversation with Merrick, his brother had been through some tough times, his heart battle worn and hurting. Everything she hoped her food was good enough at helping to heal with each bite he took.

Helga was working on refilling the wine and water in each of their goblets when Godric offered to take Maximus on a tour of the school and show him potential places his sister may enjoy should she get to attend the school. She paused, just about ready to chime in on the matter when the elder Raine brother did first mentioning the library and its current state. She realized that she would have to explain what happened now to Godric and hopefully he wouldn't be giving her a lecture too, one from Rowena was enough and she would do better next time. At least try to do better.

"Well, I already took care of some of the tour Godric. After I mistook Sir Raine for the new librarian Rowena hired when I found him exploring the gardens outside I brought him up to the see the state of the library only to find out afterward that the man she hired had decided not to come. After I sent a message to you that he was here we took the longer route here to the grand hall while we discussed the school along the way" she explained, looking at Godric with the full guilt that she had been the one at fault for the event in her eyes and a soft smile to match. This wasn't the first time she had been a bit foolish with a complete stranger, in the trading post she had more than once struck up a conversation with a random traveler that ended up doing no harm but had worried her best friend for her safety and earned a combo Godric Salazar lecture about strangers and the potential danger with them when she was by herself. Its like none of them would believe she had a good judge of character or something. 

"But thats all we saw so if you have more you would like to show Sir Raine I'm sure every bit he can collect to persuade their father to let their sister come here would be of help." Helga continued after a moment, taking a calm half step back from the table now that everything had been refilled and awaiting the chance at a potential second helping from either of the two. She hoped at least Maximus would eat his fill, perhaps a bit more as he hadn't eaten anything during his journey and it was quite possible unless she sent something with him he wouldn't eat until his return home either. If only she could find a way to convince him to stay, even just the night to give his body the chance to rest and fully recover from his journey but like Godric she assumed he wouldn't want to let show his exhaustion and would be a tricky case to persuade to stay the night and set out in the morning for home. Nothing she couldn't give a try to the best of her abilities if Godric didn't jump to it before she could.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
Godric frowned at the appearing napkin. He wasn't hardly so dirty that he needed one yet. At least, he didn't think he was. Then again, girls had strange sensibilities when it came to table manners. An odd sort - so obsessed with cleanliness. Just to make her happy, he wiped his hands and mouth, making certain that Maximus had one as well before returning his attention to the food.

So really, Helga had shown him a great deal. Thus, why had she summoned him if she obviously had things under control? Summoning Merrick to greet his brother would have made more sense. Especially since she'd already explained a lot of the things he could. Odd. Then again, maybe she hadn't known how much time she would have before having to get back to work.

That made much more sense.

Considering what else there was to do, Godric finally looked up from his food. "I can always show him one of the common rooms - just so he gets an idea of the accommodations we offer. I can show him the reading and writing classroom, though I doubt Moira will spend much time there. Most of our classrooms are quite similar though - you've seen one, you've seen them all. Then there's the Defense ring. I'm sure he'd like to see what we have set up there." A fellow knight, how could he not want to see where his sister will be learning to defend herself to make sure it's up to standard. Unlike Godric, Maximus had actually fought in a war. He would know if there were things that should be improved upon or not.

"And last but not least, I'm certain he'll want to see the Astronomy tower where the younger Sir Raine works." While he was technically here for Moira, the drive of an older brother tended to lean towards protecting them all, not just the youngest of the clan.
Professor

27 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
Maximus quietly continued to eat as Godric seemed to get gently scolded by Lady Hufflepuff. He would have found it a touch amusing had he not been so tired. He nodded in agreement as the fellow knight spoke of the select areas of the castle that he wanted to show him, including the tower in which his brother did his work.

"Aye, I should check in on 'im," he said as any dutiful older brother would. He wasn't concerned about Moira handling herself in martial defense as he and Merrick had already taught her quite a bit. Probably more than she should know as a young lady to be honest, but they wanted her to be prepared for anything. And it wasn't uncommon for an Irish lass to know her way around a blade in times of crisis.

Still, he was interested in whatever they wanted to show him that might convince their father to send her on to the school. From what he had seen thus far, Maximus was already convinced that she would likely thrive here. Her appetite for knowledge was borderline obsessive after all and the library alone would be devoured by her in a short time. He took one of the offered napkins and wiped at his face, feeling the grease smeared among his facial hairs.
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

Helga folded her arms across her chest and exhaled a small quiet sigh, fully disagreeing right away with Godric's comment about the classrooms being the same and no point to really checking them out. She was quite happy with how she had arraigned the charms classroom with help from Rowena and given the herbology class was outside in the green houses and the potions was in the dungeon the rooms were certainly not all the same as her dear friend had described them.

Yet she decided to let it go, no reason to get into a debate about it in front of a guest and potential future member of staff. Helga would just disagree and if by chance they could get the approval for the girl to come here she would be sure she and Rowena gave her a proper tour of the school including the so called 'seen one seen them all' classrooms Godric was planning to just skip over.  

"You have already seen part of the garden but if your wanting to I can show you the greenhouses as well. We grow most of what we use here on the grounds both as part of lessons in multiple subjects and to supply the kitchens as well as our infirmary with what they need. While we do go down to the trading post time to time for items, we don't want to dry up their supply by taking it all. Simply enough to help keep them going plus just enough they can at some point look to expanding if they so wish" Helga said. "I think we should also see about fixing up Sir Raine with a room for the night or even a couple nights in one of the vacant staff quarters. The journey no doubt was an exhausting one I would feel better for his health and safety if he had the chance to rest and recover before setting back out again."

She wasn't too fond of their manner of talking as if Maximus wasn't their but then again she didn't want to make the poor guy talk as he was trying to eat. Whether or not he decided to come stay himself at least she wanted to be sure to put some meat on his bones. Just enough to soften his hard edges, it wouldn't take away from his handsome features and good spirit, it may just help fuel some of his recovery just a bit while enhancing what was already there. "If your ok with staying here Sir Raine, we have plenty of room and it would give you a chance to see how an evening meal as well as morning meal happens in this grand room. Its not anything as interesting as some rooms or corridors but I like that it brings everyone together to connect and bond over while they enjoy a meal" she explained, turning to look out over the grand room before turning back and giving a smile. 

"Actually, if you'd like to Godric, you can take over the tour while I can see about the getting a room set up? I have to check in with the kitchen as well but once I finish I can meet you up at the astronomy tower? I'm sure Rowena and Salazar would agree to let him stay here after such a journey rather than to go down to the tavern and inn. No offence to those that work hard there to provide for themselves but my pride as a cook and witch just couldn't allow you to dine and stay there for even a second when what we have here is far better and good for you body and soul" Helga added then she glanced away to a spot across the room as a brush of color formed on her cheeks. It was hard for her not to feel strongly connected to what she did best and guiltily she was proud of hers and didn't like the idea of competition coming close to what she could do.
Professor

27 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

Maximus almost choked on the food in his mouth when Lady Hufflepuff insisted he stay the night at the school. Before he could get the chance to properly respond with his intention of politely declining she was already saying she was going to fix up a room for him to bunk down in. If she was that determined could he possibly deny her request? Especially when it seemed it might break her spirit if he said no?

The knight brought his fist up to his mouth and coughed softly so that he could properly swallow and though he was reluctant to do so, accepted her generous offer. "Tis most gracious o' ye te allow me a nights rest 'ere this eve," he said politely. "I will nay o'er stay me welcome, Lady 'ufflepuff. As I must return soon if I am te talk me father inte sendin' Moira 'ere."

There. Hopefully, that would appease the wholesome young woman without upsetting the other Founders of the school. He was sure that Lady Ravenclaw was not too keen on his presence and he had yet to meet the remaining Founder. At least Godric seemed accepting of his visit without much reservation. To show that he had every faith in Lady Hufflepuff's abilities, he attempted to offer her a slight smile but it came out as more of an exhausted grimace. At least he was attempting to show his appreciation.

"Tis good te know that she will be eatin' quite well at least," he said as he snuck a glance at the other knight, hoping he hadn't insulted the poor woman with his insistence on not staying long. He didn't want to disappoint her but he really did have to get back to ensure they had a new student for this venture.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

"Sounds like an excellent idea, Helga. I am sure that I can see Sir Raine properly shown around and then returned for the evening meal." Godric assured her, wanting to give her the chance to see to the arrangements as she had insisted upon. Not that he minded Maximus stay. It was better that he see the exact routine so that he had every idea about what Moira would get up to so he could have a very clear picture to describe to his father.

"But fire, this magnificent feast. To you, my dear friend, and all of your wonderful house elfs for their hard work." He toasted a goblet to her before taking a good swallow from it. "Now then, we'll eat our fill and then get on with things. I know you're tired so I'll try not to wear you out too much more," he promised Maximus. He knew the hardship of long rides in the saddle and the desire to just put one's head down afterwards.

He wanted to suggest that Helga just put him in with the staff quarters - preferably as far away from his sister's room as possible but he wouldn't dare to presume that she didn't know what she was about. That simply wouldn't do as hospitality was one of her things. While it might seem helpful to him, she might take offense and the last thing they needed was annoyance in front of anyone. That was to remain behind doors - always.
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

"Tis no trouble at all Sir Raine. We have plenty of spare rooms in our staff quarters that can host you for as long as you need to rest and fully recover before you make the journey home. We have yet to acquire the staff to fill them so for now they are vacant and unused" Helga said with a slight firm note to her tone. It was one at least Godric would recognize as her hint her mind had been made and she wouldn't be persuaded otherwise unless it was a better option which most times it wasn't. "I would also insist you let me pack you a travel safe meal to get you through the journey to your home. I couldn't trust you find anything nearly as suitable along the way and would only slow down your progress if you had to stop or detour from your path to find something suitable to eat."

She smiled as Godric toasted towards her, muffling a gentle chuckle behind a hand covering her mouth as she couldn't help but think it was so usual of her friend to praise her every chance he could when it came to filling his stomach. Helga opened her mouth a little to say something when the sound of her name came from across the room. Turning around she spotted the blond head of Astrid poking slightly into the door and trying to politely get her attention.

Turning back to the pair she smiled warmly "Pardon me a moment gentlemen, It seems lady Gudrun is in need of my attention at the moment. I will return in just a moment but please continue to eat and chat" Helga said then gave her head a small bow of her head respectfully. Turning she walked across the room towards the young woman and the two stepped out into the corridor just outside the door.
Professor

27 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

Maximus breathed a sigh of relief, glad to know his decision to stay had pleased both Lady Hufflepuff and Sir Godric. It would certainly be nice to sleep on a bed as opposed to the cold, hard ground. Though he was quite used to taking what he could get during journeys such as this, he was ever grateful to receive such an offer. He looked down at his plate and felt pain in his belly from having eaten too much so quickly. It had been quite a while since he had supped such amounts of rich food and now his stomach was protesting.

With a slight grimace, he reached for his goblet of wine and took a few careful sips. Glad that the sweet Lady had excused herself for a moment, Maximus turned his head toward Godric and kept his voice down, hoping that Lady Hufflepuff would not hear him.

"I 'ave te admit, me eyes were a bit bigger than me stomach," he said, giving a small belch. "Tis been quite a while on the road, as such, I am nay used te such amounts o' food anymore. I d'nay wish te insult Lady 'ufflepuff, but I d'nay think I can eat anymore. T'was tee rich fer me simple stomach te 'andle."

The knight felt guilty but he always believed in honesty first, thus he had no problems admitting to Godric that it had simply been too long since he had last eaten properly, thus now he was overfull and feeling quite uncomfortable. At least Godric might understand that, as the Lady had hopefully never wanted for such things as a good meal. She was such a sweet-tempered soul, he hoped she never wanted for anything. Her husband was lucky to have a woman like that in his life, whoever he was. While the name Hufflepuff was vaguely familiar, he had never met any until today.

"I  'ope she can fergive me my rudeness in leavin' some food on me plate," he said quietly. He was sure the lines on his wary face were showing something fierce with the exhaustion he felt. But he had to keep going so he could take it all in before one of them would see him to his room for the night and he could drop. Hopefully, he wouldn't sleep too terribly long but with as heavy as his limbs were starting to feel, he might be out for quite a while. "Whenever ye be ready, Sir Gryffindor, I'd li'e te see more o' this impressive school o' yers."
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

"I wouldn't worry too much on it." Godric assured him. "Lady Hufflepuff always prepares too much, simply wanting whomever is being fed to be sure to walk away from the tables stuffed to the brim. She's a very nurturing woman at heart and she just wants people content. She'll just be happy you ate at all, I can assure you."

Godric finished off the last of his plate before standing. "Are you certain you want the tour now. It can always wait until after you've rested. You have had quite the ride, one I certainly don't envy. I know you have a long trip back but a few hours might refresh your mind so you're not so weary." He offered. "I haven't any classes for the rest of the day so I'm available at your leisure.
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

Helga chatted with Astrid for all but a few minutes then bidding the young woman farewell and reentered the great room. She moved through the space between the two center long tables towards the head table on the other side of the room. She was a bit surprised to see Godric standing up from his seat, normally he was still enjoying a second or third helping still or had she been out in the corridor longer than she thought?

"Finished already Godric? Thats a little unusual for you to be finished already. Are you feeling alright? Should I go grab Nurse Gudrun for you to see if she can fix you something? I'm sure she hasn't gotten too far away to catch up to if you would like her to look you over" she asked in a bit of a hushed tone and looking a touch concerned at her friend. While she could also look him over to check his health sometimes she went a little too far into the motherly mode and fussed perhaps too much when it came to treating those important to her. Astrid would be a neutral party and would be better focused to find the problem and deliver a quick recovery for whatever was troubling Godric. "Just be a bit patient with her though if you do go to see her either for a check in or as part of the tour for Sir Raine. Poor thing mentioned she hadn't slept well the last few of nights and asked for some advise on some herbs she could try in a tea before bed to help settle her mind better and well enough she could get some rest. Oh but don't tell her I said anything about it, I just thought I would give you a heads up not to push any of her buttons."

Helga shifted her attention to Maximus, not wanting him to think she was ignoring or leaving him out. "How was everything? Did you get enough to fill your stomach for a while at least?" She asked polite and warmly, a matching smile on her lips. Though she hadn't heard any of their discussion while she was away she was simply wanting to make sure the both of them had gotten enough to eat. She wouldn't be put out or upset with remaining food on the plate, so long as his stomach was full and hunger was squished away for now thats all that mattered in her opinion.