Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcoming Students (OPEN)
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 180
Helga gave a small shake of her head that she hadn't seen their missing friend recently, any of them really since they parted after the meeting the previous night. As usual the work in the gardens and kitchen had taken her focus with the exception of the small break here and there including the one with Sir Merrick and Lady Gwen. Remembering that though had her a little excited, looking forward to dinner not long now when her friends as well as the first group of students would get to see what Merrick had done to the high ceilings. The idea sounded beyond amazing and she couldn't wait to see it when he finished.

She exchanged a glance with Rowena a moment as Salazar said he saw Godric headed down to the tavern in the trading post last night then gave her head another small shake as she exhaled a sigh. "That may explain his tardiness, he could very well have had one too many drinks or managed to get himself into some trouble again. Knowing Godric I don't want to assume something but at the same time knowing his record it isn't entirely impossible he is feeling the effects of whatever he did last night during his trip to the trading post. We can only hope on two things at least, one that he isn't a complete wreak that may unsettle the coming students and two that this will give Miss Gudrun an idea of some of the minor trouble she may be dealing with this year. If anyone draws in trouble its Godric be it his own doing or his heroics jumping up again." Helga said. Though she didn't like to badmouth her brother in-law she did have a good few years of getting to know the man and the sorts of situations he found himself in by what he called luck or chance or whatever his description was at the time.

Helga was a little thankful for the shift of topic, going back to her mental mantra to keep things good and positive to counter the nervousness. "That may have been one of the better ideas we had during the building. It just makes things easier for both students and staff while we are all essentially living here." She answered, looking to her raven haired best friend beside her with a blended smile and grin. "I know I and the house elves greatly appreciate it in the kitchens, makes filling pots of water to boil and washing dishes at the end of meals very pleasant since we don't need to spend time drawing it up from the wells or lake."
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
Yes, Godric was running a little behind. The trip to the healer had taken a little longer than he had expected. Lucky thing that he had thought to bathe beforehand or else he would be considerably more late to meet everyone. It was a pain running down to the loch to bathe. While yes, technically the girls had had the indoor plumbing installed, the Romans who had designed it in the first place - their empire had fallen. Seemed like a jinx to use anything they had bestowed upon their subjects; like they were asking to fall as the Romans had. While Salazar had told him it was pure foolishness and that he needed to get used to the idea, it just seemed a little odd.

And what was wrong with a little cold water anyway? It could wake a person up the right way, that was for certain! Besides, everyone knew bathing too often was unhealthy. Dirt was healthy! Smell not so much but why clean up when you were only going to get dirty again...well, he was, at least.

While he had originally intended to wear his wizard's robes for opening day, he found that there was a substantial rip in his outer cloak. And the inner lining needed to be desperately cleaned. When was the last time he had even worn them. Well, there had not been time so he quickly threw on black trousers, a white chemise, followed by his red tunic that had been trimmed in gold, along with the crest of his house. It had been a gift from his mother and what better day to wear it on - really?

Fixing his sword at his side and lacing up his best if slightly dirty boots, Godric whistled for Rhiannon who followed him out of the castle and down to the gates where he could see the others waiting. There had been no one strange milling about the entryway - which was when he realized that if all four of them were there to greet the students, who would guide them to the Great Hall where they could wait? And what would they do for the entire day while waiting for others. With both Gwen and Raine gone, there was only the new teacher Salazar and Rowena had hired to keep an eye on things. Hmm, probably should have given this a little more thought.

Oh well, there were bound to be little hiccups along the way. They would just know better for next year. And hopefully have a better idea of how long it would take for people to arrive.

With the dog at his heels, Godric headed down the path at a good pace. He knew the others would likely be annoyed with him by now, though really, it wasn't his fault. There was no one at fault really, in this case, unless you wanted to blame the ignorant, suspicious idiots down at the trading post. And really, it was hard to do so. After all, Hogwarts was new and so many people did not respect the idea of doing things differently. With time, that would change.

"Good morning," he greeted the others, Rhiannon barking her own greeting to them as well, happily wagging her tail as though they were off on some adventure. She quickly ran to the others, sniffing around their feet, stopping the longest near Helga as though suspecting the woman would have some sort of treat on her. Godric hadn't heard any of their conversation, though had he done so, he would have taken their complaints about his tardiness in stride. They had known him so long, it really should have been expected! "Has anyone arrived yet?" When no one made any response, he grinned. "Good, good; then I am not, technically, late!"
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
Rowena looked up as Godric finally joined them and he was dressed more knightly than wizardly but she supposed she could forgive him somewhat. She still narrowed her eyes and gave him a thorough once over only to make a face once he spoke, the scent of alcohol coming from his breath. Combining that with the damn dog sniffing at her heels and it was setting her in a foul mood. She sighed with a deep scowl marring her features to a point that she had to mentally shake herself out of it lest it discourages the students and gives them the wrong idea.

Not that any of them had arrived yet thank goodness. She pulled out her wand with her free hand and aimed it at Godric's face. "Your breath smells like the tavern. Not the best lesson to give our students on the first day Godric," she said overly sweetly before she cast a scouring charm on his mouth. She watched as bubbles formed and then popped one by one and the scent went away. "And you could have left the dog for once. I can't imagine any harm befalling you here unless you doubt your own abilities..."

She pocketed her wand, her back still straight as there was disappointment in her eyes and behind her forced smile. It almost made her features too severe to be pretty, almost. She sighed again and cast her gaze back to the road leading up to the school. Surely they would get a few students soon!
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

Salazar was relieved when the last of their quartet joined them. When Rowena made a comment about Godric's breath, he had to fight a smirk. Honestly, if the smell of alcohol on his breath was the worst they had to deal with (something easily solved), they were ahead of the game. At least Godric had shown up somewhat well dressed and lacking an outward injuries. Things could be much worse. Rowena simply solved the problem of his breath and then they were ready to go...with one exception. He looked down at the dog who was eagerly sniffing the three of them.

Over the years, he had come to accept that Rhiannon was Godric's closest companion - aside from the three of them. There was something about the dog that made Godric more at ease. Maybe the clownish dog helped keep the demons away. Or maybe she was reassuring in a way the others didn't understand. While it was understandable that Rowena was quite irritated with the whole event, Salazar simply accepted it as part of who his friend was - always on edge, on guard for the worst case scenario. Heaven knew with all the man had seen, it was hard to blame him. Luckily, the beast gave them only the shortest of sniffs before moving on to Helga, rightfully expecting the woman to have some sort of treat on her. Though she likely would not this time, it was a habit nevertheless. If people could not be blamed for habit, how could a simple animal with lesser brain capacity?

Hopefully she would be better behaved than usual with all the new people coming in. Rhiannon, like any dog, could be territorial as worst, curious at best. Salazar treated Godric with a look that said to keep the dog on as short a figurative leash as possible to keep her from scaring off their new students. His friend simply gave him a look that said 'trust me'.

With nothing else that could be done about the matter, Salazar turned his attention to the road stretched out before them with the hopes that their students would arrive soon before Godric and Rowena could get into any sort of argument. With the closer that the school's opening had gotten, the more easily they got on each other's nerves. At least, that was what it seemed like to him. Perhaps partial nervousness about the success of their endeavor and partial sexual tension, the latter of which everyone seemed to be able to see other than the pair themselves. Hopefully, once everyone became busy with the arrival and teaching of their new students, that would fall away in the interest of their new charges. 
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

Helga was relieved when Godric joined them at last, though part of her hoped he hadn't overheard anything she said. She didn't want him thinking she was badmouthing him during his absences, she never intended to but sometimes in a tired state her mind did some unusual things that made it out without her being aware until it was too late. Though it seemed that she was right and he had enjoyed himself a little too much last night down at the tavern. At least it didn't seem to be hitting him very hard though, his good spirits present as always. It made her question her own appearance again, Helga was more often a calm and warm person but something usually there was missing today, in her current tired state she just didn't feel as peppy as she usually did. 

She smiled as Rowena wasn't too thrilled with Godric's ever present company Rhiannon had joined them for the welcoming as well. "Its better the students see her right away and get to know her as part of faculty now then surprise them once they are already here. If someone is a little uncomfortable around dogs or animals in general, its a little easier to do it in an open area then inside a building where they may feel trapped and unable to locate an escape route as easily then if they had been outside. I'm sure between her bond with Godric and a few biscuit cookies I have she will be a gentle sweet heart during the greeting and introduction." Helga said warmly. 

As usual the dog had come to investigate her last and she offered a warm smile as she gave her a few pets then she dug into her pocket and offered a small biscuit cookie which was taken happily. Usually she had some kind of jerky or dried meat snack for the dog but not wanting to welcome the arriving students smelling like dried and aged meat she had grabbed a couple of the small cookies on her way out of the kitchen. 

Helga's smile brightened a bit as she watched Rowena wash out Godric's mouth and the evidence of his evenings events. While it was a funny sight her best friend had a point about it not looking good to be smelling like a tavern when they greeting the new students. Particularly if any had family accompanying them for one last goodbye for a while. Distracted in the moment she was caught off guard by a small yawn as it slipped out and she quickly covered her mouth to shield it until it had passed. "Forgive me for my rudeness, that just slipped out before I could catch it" she said with a flash of color across her cheeks in temporary embarrassment and she used her free hand to swipe a tender touch over her eyes to wipe away the gathered tears in her eyes from the yawn. Just like Godric couldn't be seen smelling like a tavern, she couldn't very well be looking like she had worked all night long.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

Godric made a face once the last of the bubbles popped, leaving his mouth tasting of absolutely nothing. Disgusting. For a moment, he considered asking for one of the treats Helga had on her just to make sure he could still taste something. However, it was best to leave them for Rhiannon to treat her when she behaved herself.

"Thank you Rowena," he said, trying to sound like he meant it. He was tempted to tell them that he'd been busy making certain he was perfectly clean and healthy to greet the students but that would likely just make things worse between them. And he didn't need to deepen that look of disappointment. No, best that none of them ever know what he'd gotten up to (other than just a quick nip down at the tavern).

"And to you as well, Helga. I did not want to stop in to the kitchen to grab something for her. I was certain that the house elfs would be hard at work..." Before he could complete his sentence, Helga yawned. He wanted to sigh, having a strong feeling that yet again, his friend had worked through the night to make certain that everything was in order for tonight. He wished that she didn't work so hard. He also wished that the others would see that his coping skills were no different than Helga's. She worked, he played hard - it was all a matter of nervousness and they both dealt with it in the best way they knew.

Walking over, he put his hand on Helga's shoulder once she had recovered. "You work too hard, my friend. You cannot keep this up all year. You've trained your elfs so well; surely it is time to let them take over." He said gently, not wanting to upset her. "I know that it is not easy but we all do - need to trust those we have brought here to do their jobs. Otherwise we'll burn out before winter solstice."
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

Helga lowered her hand away as Godric approached, his familiar caring hand on her shoulder a signal he was concerned a bit more seriously then his usual gentle concerned advise. She gave him a small smile as he pointed out they had brought help here for the very reason they wouldn't have to be working themselves into the ground. She raised her free hand again and gave his hand on her shoulder a few pats that she understood.

"There was a last minute problem that came up last night. The enchantment that takes the dishes of food from the kitchens to the dining hall wasn't able to do so in the scale I needed it to for the feast tonight. By the time I got it fixed and working near flawlessly it was already late and I got hit with one of my usual inspirations of a new dish or two. The house elves have the kitchen at hand and most of the meal plans are pinned up to direct them when I can't be there. The same can't be said for the gardens however for the herbology lessons, some of the plants arrived damaged or poorly treated and that has taken my time as well to assure they are healthy and well off before classes begin" she explained.

Not that she really needed to but saying it out loud could help ease some of the worry from her friends with her reasons for her lack of sleep again. True she could have had a few house elves help her out in the garden too but it was difficult to find one with the right touch that didn't have a rough past related to work in a greenhouse. It was better to let them thrive in the kitchens and helping with daily cleaning of the castle where they seemed happy and content to be or at least what they told her whenever she had asked.

"I can assure you though I should have things well under control and getting my proper sleep far before winter solstice. I can't very well let myself burn out before getting to properly spoil all our new arrivals coming to stay and learn here with several celebration feasts after all." Helga added with a brighter smile. Though she hoped it was enough to reassure him as well as Rowena and Salazar that she had no plans to burn herself out early, not if she could hopefully work on preventing after today. Reaching into her pocket she pulled out another biscuit cookie and held it up for him to take if he wanted it either for himself or for Rhiannon.
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

Salazar nodded, grateful that she felt everything was in hand. Maybe this evening, once he got back from paying Ollivander, he would check into the greenhouse and make certain everything was in order or if there was anything he could do to give Helga a hand finishing with last minute details. Anything to make her life easier and let her get some rest. The fact that Godric had said something before Rowena or himself, however, was the surprising thing.

And of course, Godric took the cookie and split it in half, giving a portion to the dog and eating the other half. Salazar shook his head but gave a half smile. As if anyone couldn't have predicted his reaction to her offer.

While Hegla did work hard (hence one of the virtues she intended to espouse in her house), Rowena was not much better. Though honestly, Rowena was bad because she had the slightest bit of control demon inside of her. Well, stating it was only slight was the result of their friendship. While she was a little better about letting others do things, it seemed like there were some days when it was a struggle not to do it all herself. It was just something that the female half of their quartet suffered from, whereas the males played a bit too hard.

Hopefully, with all of these new responsibilities, they could find a happy medium.

He straightened his back suddenly, still looking down the road. In the far off distance, he could have sworn he saw someone walking in their direction. "Look!" He said, his voice soft but full of excitement and hope. The person was still much too far away to have heard him, even with the keenest of hearing but he couldn't help the near whisper he used so that only the other three could hear him.
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
Rowena gave Helga's arm a squeeze, not entirely surprised that Godric spoke up about her friend's tired state. She planned on doing it in a more private setting but it was probably best to get it out now before the students arrived. She tried not to roll her eyes at the fact that Godric shared the biscuit with his damn dog looking quite pleased with himself. Decidedly, though somewhat disgusting, dog breath was better than tavern ale breath.

When Salazar exclaimed, she turned her head sharply in the direction of the path leading up to the gate. Sure enough, it looked as though someone was walking their way. Given that they were wearing a brand new cloak that the school was requiring, it was hard to tell from here if it was a male or female. 

Not that it really mattered. Their first student was coming up the road and it was time to greet them. She straightened her back, giving her friend's arm another squeeze before giving the air of patiently waiting for the young person to join them. Her mind was already trying to place them, though she had no idea who had made it up here to Scotland from those she had been in touch with.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

Godric looked at the figure, almost unable to believe that they were actually there. All this time, all this work and he had worried that it would be for naught. Of course he'd gone around to recruit students. They all had. And they had all received at least one or two letters of acceptance but he had learned long ago that words were empty things. Actions were what really mattered. When the students who had accepted arrived, then he would believe it.

Now he had no choice but to believe it because that figure in the distance was wearing the cloak that they had designed for their school to identify the students.

So it was time.

He moved behind Helga, standing a step behind and off to her right while Salazar took to the step to the left and one back of Rowena. Let the women present the welcoming front while the two men stood in support roles. Let the people who arrived know how things truly were here. Because while he and Salazar did have a say in how things worked around here, Rowena and Helga worked the hardest (in his opinion). Still, they were united by all standing here, waiting in the beautiful morning air. With a short whistle, Rhiannon trotted off to lie down by the side of the road so that it was only the four of them waiting alone.