Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wishing On A Star (OPEN)
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
"Aye, ye 'ave a good eye," he complimented her as she pointed in the general direction of the north star. "Polaris be indeed a good, strong name fer a lad." He knew that she had a child but he suspected it was a girl otherwise he would have remembered a name like that. Strong was the pull of the stars.

Merrick smiled down at her and stood there in silence for a moment unable to move away from her. He couldn't explain the pull toward her being so strong. Perhaps because she was a touch forbidden, being Godric's sister. Thinking on this, he took a step or two back from her.

"Pardon me, m'lady," he said suddenly, a flush rising up his neck and into his cheeks. "I d'nae mean te ta'e liberties in gettin' se close te ye. Tis entirely me fault."

Unfortunately, the space between them didn't seem to break the spell. So instead he looked up once more at the twinkling lights above them, like smiling or laughing faces. "I jus' ge' se excited when someone will listen te me tal' abou' the subject," he explained, a slightly pained tone in his voice. It was clear most people didn't take him seriously when it came to readings and the like.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
Gwen smiled when he agreed with her name choice. Not many people had agreed with it, thinking that - had it been a boy - he should have been named for the father who had already passed away. She had had other ideas, though, not wanting something ordinary. Fortunately for argument's sake, she'd had a beautiful little girl. Most people didn't argue much about girl's names and thus, she was given free reign to give her daughter the name Loraine after a friend she'd had in her childhood but who had gone away.

She beamed when he told her that she had gotten the question right. There was a first time for everything, she supposed, and it was definitely a blessing that the one time she needed to get it right that she did. Not that it would matter to this man...Sir Raine (she corrected herself mentally) whether she got it right or wrong. She was not his student and he would not fail or pass her depending on her answer. But still, she was proud that she remembered at least one thing that connected them together.

Not that they could be connected together! Nooo, they were just two people who happened to work for...

Suddenly, Gwen realized he was stepping away from her and her smiled drooped just slightly, even though it was for the best and proper reasons. He quickly took blame for the overstep but she found that she did not mind nearly as much as she should.

"Oh," she said softly, understanding the tone when he admitted that no one much listened to him when he talked about his subject of interest. She knew the feeling all too well. Whenever she went on about her help with the villagers, her family would just sort of nod but only her mother would listen without her eyes glazing over. And that was just so that she could remind Gwen at the end that she needed to be more careful with herself - who saw her doing what. While her mother was indulgent of her do-gooding, she wasn't overly fond of her daughter riding alone across the countryside to do it.

"It is fine, Sir Raine. You were simply make certain I had knowledge that is quite useful when out in the world." She reassured him softly. "You were simply doing your due diligence, passing on your passion to those who can use the information. You shall make quite the good teacher," she said softly. Hopefully his students would be just as attentive as she was right now. Though a few of the older girls might miss some of it just because they were so caught up in watching him and miss half of what he was saying.

She should go - she should leave him to his fresh air and go back to her rooms and scold herself for behaving so wrongly. And yet... "I do find your topic fascinating, I just haven't the eyes for it I am afraid. It is so difficult for me to pick pictures out of such a grand canvas." She quickly explained. "Who taught you?" 
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

"Than' ye fer the confidence," he said, the slight flush deepening slightly as he bowed his head in her direction. He could only hope he'd be a good teacher and that his students would be willing to learn. When she asked him more questions he brightened a bit and seemed to relax a little bit, be a little less formal.

"O', I taugh' meself," he said proudly. "I read a lo' o' tomes on the subject. Anythin' I could get me 'ands on. I e'en managed te get a translated copy o' Astrology by Alfred the Grea'."

Merrick was quite proud of his accomplishments in the area, even if nobody else understood it or cared. It was nice to meet someone who at least showed a little interest even if it was fleeting. Granted, he didn't think Lady Moore was a fleeting type of person. Her interest made him feel good about his decision to come here and teach it.

"I can o'ly 'ope me students are as interested as I be," he said wistfully. "Ye be teachin' readin' an' writin' righ'?" He wanted to make sure he offered the students as much absorbable information without overwhelming them if they were just learning the basics of letters and numbers.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

Gwen's eyes widened when he admitted that he had taught himself. It was impressive that he could keep all the pinpricks of light straight in his head but to have taught himself - to have not had a guide in the pursuit of his knowledge - that made it all the more impressive. She wasn't quite certain who Alfred the Great was but she made another surprised face when he mentioned it, just so he thought that she understood the momentous find he had located in his search for knowledge.

"I am sure you will have more than a few," Gwen reassured. "But as Godric says, even if you reach just one and it helps them someday in the future, then you have made a difference."

At least, that was what he told Gifford every time a new expense came up that her eldest brother had to approve. This was needed or that was needed; he had to put in his fair share. But to reach one student, to save the life of one, to make a better life for many - it was worth everything, wasn't it? And Gifford had grudgingly agreed, for the most part. And he was sending his eldest son to show support for his brother's endeavor so that was better than what the Duke of Wessex had said (threatened) initially when the idea had first come up.

When he brought up her own subject, she nodded in agreement. Then realized she looked like a fool, just nodding her head and not saying anything. "Yes, that would be the area I excel at. My skills in many areas lack but I have been teaching people to read and write...well, since I was capable of doing it myself actually. I used to teach the village children when their parents would let me. And anyone else who would show up to learn. It just seems like the world is a much better place when we can all communicate with each other through the written word.

"Talking is good though. Very good! I just like the sight of words on a fresh piece of parchment, seeing the first strokes of a fine plumed quill. And the smell of ink..." She sighed dreamily. "I could sit and watch them make ink all day - and there has been more than one day where I tried to do exactly that. I now know how to make my own - and I do. I thought it was the least I could do for the school, as not all the children will need to learn to read and write but they will all need ink!"
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

"Tha's impressive tha' ye been teachin' so long," he said. "Probably longer than any o' us. De ye min' if I as' ye questions sometimes if somethin' comes up? I mean, I be kind o' nervous."

Merrick wasn't sure what made him admit that to Lady Moore, but she seemed a kind soul and understanding to boot. And beautiful, but that was dangerous territory to be focusing on. Best to keep things professional he decided. Safer for his head to keep it on his shoulders.

"De ye thin' I should focus on pictures firs' since some may nae know their letters?" he asked, truly wanting her opinion. He figured the symbols for each zodiac sign would also be useful in place of the full words as well. They were like runes almost, but then again what were letters but symbols for sounds?

He crossed his arms over his chest as they stood there beneath the stars. If she were another woman he might have tried to charm her, but she was off-limits. Instead, he was trying to simply enjoy the conversation which she was making quite easy for him. He wasn't necessarily the most vocal knight, but a good academic conversation was always a welcome change from hacking and slashing his way through life.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

Gwen smiled at him when he admitted to be rather nervous. It would be surprising if he was not. She knew Godric was - and likely the others were as well.

Well, she thought, making a mental face in her head, Salazar probably wasn't. He always called Godric cocksure but if there was ever man who was the true definition for that word, it was her brother's best friend. Man never seemed to make a misstep in his life - or so he would have you believe.

"Of course you may ask. I am glad to help." She reassured him. When he questioned where to start, she nodded emphatically. "Oh yes, definitely pictures. Maps always serve best on a journey and what is this but a journey to learning, to bettering oneself! If they know not what they are looking for, they shall be lost completely. But I am certain you shall get them all straightened out and by Christmas, having them navigating their way out of the forest by the stars alone."

Oops, probably should not have mentioned one of her brother's plans for defense class. Still, if he knew what was coming, he would work hard to make them prepared for what was to come. That was what this school was about, after all. Making it so the students could survive in the world once they left here. Navigating by starlight was one of many lessons that could serve them well through the years. And Astrology - well, she didn't right know what that was but it likely had great importance somehow else no one would have approved of it's study.
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

"Aye, tis an importan' skill te 'ave," he said in complete agreement. He was beyond pleased that she was willing to lend him a listening ear and offer him advice. He fully planned on teaching the students survival skills in addition to the more whimsical astrology knowledge.

"Is makin' in' 'ard te do?" he asked curiously as it was something she was clearly passionate about. If they were going to be friends and colleagues then he wanted to learn more about her, what drove her. "I thin' tis impressive tha' ye be offerin' ye services in tha' respec' as well."

"Knowledge be power an' the more we can teach them the better witches and wizards they will be," he said, firmly believing that. It was one reason he agreed to do this job in the first place. To help their kind succeed and thrive in this dangerous world that seemed to be increasing in aggression toward them.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

Gwen blushed slightly when he asked if it was very hard to do and then complimented her kindness in agreeing to aid her brother and his friends in this manner. "Oh, it can be if you aren't paying attention. More than once I distracted by father's scribe, messing up more than a batch or two in my lifetime. But he realized I was just curious as to what he was doing and thus, took the time to show me exactly how to make it.

"It is merely the work of a full day or so but that's for a very large batch indeed, which we shall need. As my class seems like it will be of great need but not everyone shall need it, it just seemed as though I will have the time. Perhaps sometime you can come down and assist me. I will show you how to do it properly." She offered.
Professor

60 Posts
3 Threads
Undisclosed

"Aye, I'd lo'e te learn somethin' new," he said with a brilliant smile. What was it about her that was making him smile so much? In fact, he felt lighter than air. "I shall be yer willin' student."

Merrick had no idea what might be going through her head at this point, or whether there was an underlying message in her words. He was taking them at face value for now so he could get to know her better. If they were going to work together and he was going to ask for her assistance on occasion they would need a good relationship, a working relationship of course.

"If there be anythin' I can teach ye tha' I know, then I would be 'appy te do se," he said, given she had already been asking him questions about his expertise. The more people he shared the knowledge with the better.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

"Excellent!" Gwen smiled, not having thought of anything of how she had ended things. At least, not anything that she would admit to. Because unfortunately, unlike many of the women she had talked to, she had not minded sex as people had told her she would. The first time or two had been uncomfortable, of course. It was to be expected but after that, it had been quite lovely. Not exactly a romantic, her husband, but he had known what he was about when it came to marital relations!

And she missed that. Perhaps more than she missed her husband, truth be told. She missed that intimacy of the moment when it all came together in one brilliant pinprick of light and life that concluded the event. The rush of one's heart, the flare of heat, the effervescent feeling of being complete - even if for a short time.

Certainly, that was what was wrong with her mind. Being with Sir Merrick, a companion of her late husband's, had her thinking of him. That must be it.

"I would love to, someday, know more...of the constellations, of course. And perhaps a bit of the Astrology. It's a curious subject, is it not? Mystical and whatnot and as my own education did not cover it, surely having even the basics would allow me to help some of my students. If they are struggling with their notes or their work, then I can try to fill things in for them that will make sense and are, preferably, correct instead of just guesswork on my part."