Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
See Rob Run (Students)
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
Gwen wasn't surprised to see that Cara departed upon being offered the opportunity. While the girl could have used a little more practice, she could hardly begrudge her some free time to prepare for her next class. It would certainly be a doozy so hopefully Cara would use the time appropriately.

Fortunately, that wasn't her problem. What concerned her were the waiting students, some of whom were looking up here as though curious as to what their private conversation would hold in store. Nothing else to do but give them their own turn.

Slowly, she moved through the list of names. Kimberly was done more quickly than the rest, whereas Gwen had already had a good idea of where the young woman was in relations to both of her reading and writing skills. Kimberly seemed relieved to depart, despite the incredible progress she had made since the beginning of August. Likely off to visit her horse, if Gwen knew anything about her. Hopefully she would at least give some thought to her next class before rushing off.

Reaching the end of the list, she wasn't exactly surprised that only two of the students might be ready to test out already. Assigning them each a chapter in books she had selected from the library, she explained that at the end of the week, they would be expected to be able to read the chapter and then write five hundred words on the subject she'd assigned. If they could do it, legibly and cognitively, then she would excuse them from further sessions, giving them a free period during this hour of their day.

Finally, Gwen reached the last name - the only remained student left. She had known very few people who's name started with 'Z' but here they were. Though he was the last, she still called out his name, just in case he was so absorbed in his work that he didn't realize he was the last. "Zoticus, I believe it is your turn," she said, her voice much softer, no longer needing to rise above the loud scratching of quills against parchment or soft conversations she had allowed during this first session.
Student

35 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
Zot had definitely been absorbed into what he was doing, which at present was actually doodling on the edges of his parchment. He felt like he had done well enough with the assignment with a few proper sentences though his handwriting definitely left something to be desired. Instead of continuing to write nonsense that might not be clear, he had begun doodling things that he wanted to make for his sisters. Among the sketches was a fine comb with a small jewel, a necklace with a matching gem, along with a fine-looking goblet for his stepmother though he was somewhat stuck on what to create for his father as he had already made the man a sword before he left.

At the sound of his name, his head shot up and a small blot of ink absorbed into his page before he realized it. He quickly put the quill down and began blowing on the yet-to-be dry ink as he rose from his chair. The lad was quite a bit taller than a lot of students his age and made of a more muscular build thanks to the work he had put in with the smithies. He walked over to the teacher's desk and carefully placed his parchment in front of her, his cheeks turning a bit pink.

The lad hadn't been paying attention to what the other students had done during their times up at the desk so he didn't know what to expect. He was glad however to be the last to go, thus if he did or said anything embarrassing, Lady Moore would be the only one to know.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

Gwen smiled at the young man, who had obviously moved on from the assignment and was daydreaming. Or so she thought until he handed in his paper and she saw the doodles on the edges of the parchment. She wanted to shake her head, knowing that it had been a considerable amount of time for him to fill but if he was losing himself so much that he didn't notice that it was his turn, starting at the sound of his name...oh yes, the others were going to have fun with him.

"Best keep on your toes, young man," she said, her voice gentle. "While I did give you quite a bit of time and it's only natural that your mind might turn to other things, my fellow teachers might not be as understanding."

When he stood to approach the desk, Gwen's eyes widened just slightly. While she wasn't short by any means, this young man made her feel tiny. Perhaps there was giant blood somewhere in his background? That would be rather fascinating. However, if so, he was unlikely to reveal if that was the case. Knowledge like that would be incredibly dangerous. She would be interested in seeing how her brother fared with him on the Dueling grounds later, just to see Godric's reaction to someone being taller than him.

Gwen had to crane her head up to look at him as he stood in front of her. "Since everyone else is gone, you needn't come around here so we can talk softly. If you would like to pull up a chair, that would be fine." She waited for him to choose whether he wanted to or not before moving on. "Now then Zoticus, I'd like to know how much experience you have with reading." While awaiting his answer, she put his work into the folder with his name on it so she could take a more in depth look at it this evening.
Student

35 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

"Yes, Ma'am," he said, looking a little bashful to have been caught out daydreaming. He'd have to keep himself focused somehow. He could only hope that the subjects he'd be learning would be just as interesting as working with fine metals. If not, then he'd likely struggle as he had with 'proper' learning in the past.

When she offered him to sit, he quickly grabbed a nearby chair and folded himself onto it. Zot was quite aware that his height often made some people uneasy and he didn't want to cause any problems or discomfort, especially to his teachers. He folded his large hands in his lap and offered her a nervous smile before clearing his throat.

"Well, Ma'am," he began. "My father's wife began instructing me a few years ago on how to read and write. Progress has been...slow. I know my letters and quite a few words and can read simple texts but larger more complicated words seem to illude me. I do try to sound them out as I was taught, but unfortunately, I don't know if I'm saying them correctly."

Now the young man looked a little embarrassed and perhaps a touch ashamed of his lack of understanding. Perhaps he should have tried harder to learn what she had been instructing him on. Then again, he never could have dreamed that the possibility of this kind of education would spring up let alone exist for someone like him.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

Gwen nodded, taking notes on what little he had to say. Once he had finished, she nodded. "That's quite common, the misunderstanding between how words sound compared to their spelling. There are tricks that you will learn in this class that will help you with that." She reassured him.

"I have a simple question. I hope it is not too personal but maybe it will help us figure something out. Is it possible that your slow progress was because you did not care for your step-mother or do you think she didn't really want you to succeed for some reason?"

Gwen had often found that a teacher and their methods for training could often affect how successful their student was. If this woman felt put-upon for the sake of her husband's affection for a child of a first marriage, she might not put as much effort into showing him the proper way - just to keep them stifled beyond the ability of their own children. It wasn't uncommon among noble women. If an heir proved incompetent to perform their duties, the younger son could be chosen. It was a difficult arrangement but could be done.
Student

35 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

The boy nodded appreciatively, glad to know that there were tricks to reading that he would hopefully be able to master. When she posed her question however he squirmed a little bit, fidgeting with his fingers.

"I don't mind my stepmother," he said honestly though the next thing he had to say was clearly spoken with dismay. "I don't think she particularly cares for me, however. I'm a bastard you see, but my father's only son. I've been under the impression he intends to legitimize me though and grant me his name. With that in mind, it would stand that I would have a say in the futures of my two younger sisters and I think that makes her uneasy. She insisted that I be educated properly in that case."

"I think she is behind my father's reasoning to send me here so that I'm out of her way," he admitted, showing the uneasiness he felt. "But I would never do anything with ill intentions toward my sisters. I adore them. They accepted me without reservation and I hope that my stepmother's dislike of me doesn't discolor their opinions in my absence."
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

Hmmm, a non-answer in regards to whether his stepmother was holding him back or not. It could also be that he was the type of person not to say anything bad about anyone. From the looks of things, he was a Hufflepuff, very typical behavior when it came to his head of house so she wouldn't be surprised if Lady Hufflepuff's students were of the same nature.

"I see. Thank you for sharing that with me." She quickly scribbled something on the paper in front of her and then slid it into his file before turning to the stacks of books, starting to sort through them, considering what he had explained about his experience. "Well, we'll help you on the road to being the type of heir your father will be proud of. Also important, a young man who can properly manage to care for his younger sisters. After all, one must be able to read for when the time comes to marry them off. Wouldn't want to sign a marriage contract without knowing what it says." She pointed out. It was dangerous to sign anything in this day and age. If you couldn't read what you were agreeing to...the head aches that could lead to were immense.

Finally, Gwen found the 2nd primer she had written about a boy on a dragon hunt. It wasn't quite as simple as 'See Rob Run'. There was more of a story to this one and the sentences were a bit longer. The words were varied, though nothing longer than five letters. It had a few tricky ones, which was why she wanted it. That way she could hear how he was sounding things out. As she had written them, she would know what he was reading without having to check.

Opening to a random page, she quickly scanned the page and then handed it over to Zoticus, book still open to that page. "Please read the next three pages out loud, if you can. If you come to a difficult word, sound it out as best you can. This will give us a good idea as to how far your skills have progressed."
Student

35 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

Zot read as best he could though he did stumble on a few of the more difficult words so it was far from perfect diction. When he finished he handed the book back looking hopeful that he had done well enough, though he doubted he was good enough to test out of the class. He wasn't foolish enough to think that. 

"How did I do Ma'am?" he asked a bit nervously. He didn't know what to really expect, to be honest. He knew he had more work ahead of him and he was prepared to work hard but he hoped he had at least a small jump on his peers.
Professor

73 Posts
3 Threads

Gwen sat, her eyes closed so she could picture the words in her mind as he said them. There were a few mistakes and though she wanted to correct him immediately, as she had with all of the other students, she bit her tongue. No reason to ruin his confidence while he was trying so hard. She could see that he was, so maybe it was the stepmother after all. Perhaps she didn't push or care enough to make this a cornerstone of his education.

Well, he wouldn't have such difficulty with her. Gwen was really hoped the first lesson or two would leave a good impression on the students because she fully intended to push them to pull out the best person inside of them. Plus get results as quickly as possible for the sake of their progression in the other classes.

When he'd finished, she took the book back. Slowly, she went through the pages he'd read and pointed out the handful of mistakes that he'd made. There were a few curious ones but she left it alone for now, merely giving him the correct pronunciation.

"That was a very good start, I believe." She concluded with. "There are some things to work on, obviously, but your biggest friend is going to be practice. With that in mind," She pulled out a journal with his house crest on it, presenting it to him as she had done with the other students. "You'll find a copy of the alphabet in the front and there are always quills in the common rooms with plenty of ink for that purpose. If you've found that there is none to be had, simply let me know and I'll have Lady Hufflepuff refill the supplies.

"As for practicing your reading, there is a very large library in the castle as well as the small one I keep in here so if you wish to borrow a book..." She frowned, remembering that the person Rowena had apparently hired to manage the library was not yet here. "Well, the library's not in order yet but feel free to borrow any book from my collection if you wish. However, I will expect it back in a timely manner and good condition.

"Have you any questions for me?" Gwen asked, looking to the hourglass to see how much time they had left before his next class.
Student

35 Posts
2 Threads
Undisclosed

The fact that the woman offered to let him borrow one of the books from her personal collection humbled Zot a bit. This was truly a place of real learning if they were willing to give away information so freely. He had a feeling he was really going to like it here. He was prepared to work hard to make something of himself when it came to wizardry.

When she asked if he had any questions for her he had so many but he didn't think it appropriate to ask at this time. Instead, Zot shook his head. "No, Ma'am. I can only promise to work hard at my lessons," he said earnestly. He wondered if she was about to dismiss him and what he should do to fill his time before the next class began. Though given that he was the last student in this one, he doubted he had much time left anyway.

"Is that all you have for me today, Ma'am?" he asked, curious if she had any more thoughts on the matter.