Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcoming Students (OPEN)
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
Rowena had an excellent night's sleep after visiting Astrid in the infirmary and looked crisp and refreshed as she waited near the gates, though perhaps a bit perturbed as she was currently the only one of the Founders waiting to greet their new charges. She was wearing a flowing sapphire dress, complete with hidden pockets for her wand and supplies like parchment and quill and her diadem was perched on her perfectly quaffed head.

Though she longed to teach Helena along with the other students, she had agreed with Helga that perhaps it would be best if the first year of operation of the school be without them so that they could focus on making it the best experience they could before bringing their children in as students. Plus it would be hard for her to focus on her students if her daughter was among them, and this would give her the necessary practice in giving everyone proper attention.

She smoothed her hands down her dress, hoping that Lady Moore was already posted up at the wand shop ready to present these young witches and wizards with their first wands. She wondered if there was a better way to do this but it was too late to worry now, the first day was starting.
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
Salazar had spent the very early morning checking in on their supplier for their potions. It had not been a productive meeting and only barely had the man avoided getting cursed or worse. The founder was not pleased by the delay, as it would be another day - two at the most before everything got there. That meant that they would already have to switch the schedule around so that Potions would occur on the third official day of term (today being the first). It was irritating and likely the others would feel the same way.

Actually, Godric and Helga might not care as much as Rowena might, as both he and their wise friend seemed quite set on having things happened as planned, whereas the other two were more happy to just go with the flow. There were times when that attitude was a bit irksome but as there was no other choice (other than finding the supplies and apparating back and forth to get them there on time) this was the way it would have to be. Since he was expected to be there to greet the new students with his three friends, there simply wasn't time to track down the caravan and take matters into his own hands.

Thus, he returned to the school empty handed and annoyed, starting in his bedroom to clean up - putting on his finest outfit of green wizards robes, his hair brushed back out of his face, and his wand secured up his sleeve for easy access - just as Godric had taught him for quicker dueling. Checking the looking glass one more time and finding no fault with his clothing (even his shoes shined!), Salazar headed down to the gates to greet their students who would hopefully arrive at varying times this morning so by this afternoon, they could be sorted and then by the opening feast, they could sit with their new housemates.

While he had dressed, he'd been thinking about the many things that had to happen yet before tomorrow and realized the mistake they had made. If they had kept Lady Moore at the castle, she could have conducted the reading and writing interviews during the afternoon so that by tomorrow morning, they would know where they stood. Unfortunately, she had been sent down to the village whereas they could have easily sent Sir Raine, who was just as capable - if not more so than the Lady Moore. After all, what young man was going to take direction from a woman - noble or not? At least Sir Raine would have a better chance to command respect from the start.

But it was too late now to make changes as Godric's sister should have already headed down to the trading post to tend to her duties there. Thus, with everything else in place, Salazar heading down. He wished they would have cast bets last night on who would be the last to arrive because he had a strong feeling, Helga - with all the preparations she was involved in - would be the final member to arrive. Still, she could always surprise him!

Sure enough, when he reached the castle gates, he found only Rowena waiting. "Good morning," he said, nodding his head respectfully in her direction as manners would dictate - her being higher nobility than he was currently. Even if they were friends, they needed to set an example if any students were within seeing/hearing distance. "My apologies for my lateness. There was the supply matter to deal with." He looked down the road that led to the trading post. Seeing no one there, he scowled.

"We will need to move potions from tomorrow to the next day." He groused. "Everything should arrive tomorrow in the late afternoon." The more he thought about it, the more irritated he became. "I should have cursed the lazy git and hoped his replacement was more organized and responsible."
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

A sigh escaped her at Salazar's announcement, though she bowed in his direction. Of the three other school founders, he seemed to challenge her the most on a consistent basis. She clasped her hands together in front of her and did her best to remain poised. "I don't think cursing those providing us with supplies is exactly the reputation we're shooting for Salazar," she said. "We want people to work with us, especially at such an important juncture."

Granted, if this kind of treatment continued perhaps an exception could be made, she added silently. Not that she would curse someone, but she knew the boys might. She had to remain a sense of plausible deniability should something arise. She cast her gaze down the dirt lane that led to the Trading Post.

"Hmm, perhaps it's good that students haven't begun their walk yet since the others are not yet here," she said. "From what I've heard, several arrived at the Trading Post over the last two days or so, inquiring about the school and the castle. Already they are in awe. I can't wait until they see the interior."

Rowena would never admit out loud that she was nervous about that as well. Had she gone too far with the faux entrances and moving staircases? She didn't think so but would their students agree?
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

"True, it might not have earned us the best reputation but I would have felt better about leaving," Salazar insisted, forcing a smile on his face as he did relay one other part of the interaction which would make the others happy. "Due to the severe delay in delivery, I managed to wheedle him down to 30% off the original delivery fee so there is some good news."

While none of them were exactly strapped for coin at this point, it would relieve some of the pressure on Godric's behalf. Besides, anywhere that they could spare a little to make up for expenses that could be spent in more useful endeavors - like paying for wands for the students - would be useful to them all.

"Oh?" He said, sounding pleased at this. "So counting the young lady I recruited with our new teacher, that brings us up to four students for certain then. Five if you count the muggle that Godric found this summer." From the tone in his voice, the girl did not count but then, as long as she didn't end up in his own house, then so be it. The number was a relief to know that the year wouldn't be a total waste. While five would be a complete underestimation of what they had hoped for, it was better than no students at all.
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 180
It took all of Helga's strength of control to pull herself from the kitchens and slip into her private room in the back and get ready for the arrival of the school's first years students. She was exhausted but a worthy one, wanting to make sure the coming opening feast was nothing less than perfect and the herbology gardens outside were prepared for their first lessons. After all the work everyone had put in to this school, it just had to kick start on a good note.

She washed her face to help perk up her tired state then changed into an enchanted dress of varying shades of yellow and red, the bright shifting colors enough to make any tree decorated in fall colored leaves jealous and did a quick touch up of her hair, lightly braiding then pinning up her reddish brown hair up onto the back of her head and out of her face. Helga gave herself a once over once she was ready, making an adjustment or two before giving her reflection a small nod and picked up her wand. She tucked it away into one of the side pockets as she left her room. 

Helga felt a little odd as she made her way to the front entrance, like she was missing something but she just chalked it up to not wearing her apron right now. She had been wearing it nonstop since yesterday morning so not feeling its familiar weight though light was a little odd. Well, she couldn't wear it all the time she reminded herself, sometimes the occasion called for it to be gone and the feeling would only last a moment before it was forgotten when she focused more on the current moment.

As she stepped outside, Helga took note of Rowena and Salazar already waiting by the main gates but no sight of Godric. Well, once again she wasn't the last to arrive but she was a bit on the tardy side. This time though she didn't have any snacks to help her case so hopefully the pair weren't too feather ruffled at her for the delay. 

When she got a little closer, she could hear the tail end of their conversation and couldn't help but raise an eyebrow curiously. "Whos cursing who now?" she asked as she approached and glanced between the two. What conversation had she just walked up on Helga wondered. First it was something about curing, then a delivery with a discount, then the coming students. Either she had walked in at an odd time or her tired mind was jumbling things up again. Guess it was a good thing it never did that with her recipes, that would be a real disaster to have her cooking in the kitchen in a tired state indeed.
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

"Nobody is cursing anybody," Rowena responded as she put on a smile for her best friend in the whole world. Helga looked surprisingly good for the sleepless night she had had, looking only a little rough around the edges of her eyes. A little eye cream or something from Astrid would likely fix her up but she didn't want to express that to her and make her feel ill-prepared for the day. No, the poor woman had been working far too hard for that.

"Salazar and I were discussing that potions classes will be postponed until the day after next due to the lateness of the supply arrival which he was trying to get sorted before now," she explained. "Given the inconvenience, we're getting a discounted rate which honestly is the least they could do."

"I mentioned that word has reached me that several students have arrived in the Trading Post over the last couple of days, inquiring about the school and the castle," she continued. "Salazar was figuring that at least five students should be present but I would wager more than that by week's end. I imagine not all were able to get here by today thus I believe we'll have late arrivals."

Rowena took a couple of steps over to Helga and looped one of her arms with the other woman's. "What do you think Helga?" she asked her dearest friend. She hoped that they would have more than five otherwise an entire castle would go to waste.
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 180
Helga glanced between the two when she found out no one was to be hexed but the potion supply for the class was still delayed. While she was glad to know no one would be getting hexed it was a little concerning the supplies hadn't arrived yet. Hopefully it wasn't anything serious like robberies, the last thing they needed was to jeopardize the coming students to potential dangers on the road along the way.

"What was the planned first potion for the class again? If possible we could try to quick grow anything out in the garden if its plant based or as I suggested yesterday Miss Gudrun could see if her family shop in the trading post has any supplies they could supply us with for the class. Whatever we use we can either pay them for or replace when the supplies eventually turn up" She suggested, hoping the two could make use of her idea so the schedule they had planned didn't need to be changed. If she knew anything about these two friends including her raven haired best friend they were rather big sticklers for keeping things as planned and if it could be helped no last minute changes to them.

Helga smiled as Rowena approached and looped her arm with one of hers. Raising her other arm she gave her friend's arm a small pat with her hand. It wasn't too difficult to pick up her friends rattling nerves, worried just as much as they all were that this school that they had all worked so hard to build would be a success. This first year was important not just to prove they had done something extraordinary with the talents they each possessed. Time would only tell if it was worth all this time away from her children. This had been the longest she had been separated from them, not more then a few minutes since they were born in fact and it hadn't made going to bed at night when she did sleep very easy wondering if they were ok or if she made a mistake in living them with her sister and should have brought them with her instead. If they were here, well, at least she would have less of a chance to drift back to the past and risk worrying anyone she still hadn't fully let herself grieve the loss of her husband. That was the last thing she wanted anyone to know, especially her children after it had taken them a long time themselves to get over his death.

She glanced towards the road leading to the trading post, mulling over the bit of information Rowena had said next in the attempt to get her mind on something else then where it was headed. "Yes, I think for maybe a few days things will be a little slow and empty as far as arrivals but in time we should have a full school. I'm leaning towards the end of the week for that to happen but it all depends on travel after all. Some people are coming from a good distance away and if the children don't have access to a way to apparate part if not most of the way, the travel could take some time with the natural elements at play. The weather and mother nature and all that stuff out of our control. If the weather turns bad they have to stop until it clears away for example." she replied giving a small half shrug of her shoulders. It was better to look on the bright side, keep the mind positive as long as possible. Both for herself and for them. Happy thoughts, good spirits.

"It may be a good thing they are trickling in like this, while it may delay our levels of teaching them it won't overwhelm Lady Moore with testing their reading and writing on top of making sure they have a wand in massively large groups. Smaller concentrated groups could help her focus better on finding everyone's level without making them feel like they have to rush through it to make enough time for everyone. I did get confirmation at least one student I reached out to had arrived recently and she came by carriage so the journey is possible just perhaps not as efficient as one could hope given what we did with the school. We just have to have faith they are on their way, we have five and thats a good start. I would be more concerned if we had none at all right now." Helga explained, hoping to reassure Rowena and even Salazar should he too be worried about the slim turn out that although it wasn't the bustling crowd they had expected, it was a start and they shouldn't mark this a failure just yet. She gave Rowena's arm another few pats of her hand followed by a gentle and tender squeeze. Happy thoughts and good spirits. That would get them through this bit of nervousness.
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

Salazar pulled the itinerary for the week from the pocket inside of his outer robes. Checking over the list of lessons, he considered what was listed for the first class. "Actually, from the looks of things, we might not have to delay. The first lesson was on bezoars, as well as other natural remedies for poison that are found in the natural world. I believe I have a few of the former in my own supplies, though not enough to provide each student with one for their own personal use. The latter might be more difficult, unfortunately."

He looked back towards the castle, considering. "Perhaps Godric and I will head into the forest tonight to search. How much we will need will, of course, depend on how many students are in attendance; something we will not know until this evening at the earliest.

"Yes, I am certain we can locate what we need in the forest. Or perhaps I will just take them out there to do it for themselves once I have acquainted them to my examples." Best teacher really was experience. 
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

Rowena wasn't so sure about leading young ladies into the forest to look for stones in goat's stomachs, but it was an unfortunate circumstance that they might need to know how to do in this day and age. Thus she wasn't going to argue the point for propriety given what Salazar had done to her when she wanted to make her wand. While she had been ultimately successful and it had opened her mind to other experiences, she was a little bit questioning of his methods at times.

"As long as they all come back safely," she commented, not wanting the students to end up disappearing mysteriously. Their parents, in the cases where they had them, were entrusting them to watch over and teach their children. She gave Helga's arm a bit of a squeeze before looking back along the trail.

She sighed again before turning back to Salazar. "Where in the bloody hell is Godric?" she said, her Scottish accent coming out a bit thicker than normal with her agitation. "Of all the days to be late, this is not it." She looked between the two friends who were present.
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

Salazar nodded approval. They would all come back safely. He was not likely to let everything go to ruin on the first day. He was leaving that to Godric who, judging from the position of the sun, was definitely late now. He looked back at the castle, wondering where in the hell his friend was.

"I am certain he will be along in a moment. He was headed down to the tavern when we parted ways last evening so he probably needed a bath before getting dressed." At least Salazar hoped that was all that was keeping their friend. Speaking of baths...

"Neither of you saw him in the loch on the way down, did you?" He asked. While they had installed indoor plumbing similar to what the Romans had used in the height of their empire for the purpose of avoiding the constant activity of building privies, Godric was not used to such finery. Whenever he came back from wherever he'd been traveling, he usually bathed in the loch, since it was a more familiar activity for him. Or maybe he just liked to show off that he was a tough as nails knight - aka complete idiot rejecting the nice warm baths Rowena had installed in the castle.

It was one thing that Salazar and he simply could not agree on. Salazar liked his warm baths, grateful that every time he turned on the water, it was warm within short order. Lovely, lovely baths that one could luxuriate in.

"By the way, I have not thanked you ladies today for deciding on indoor plumbing. Still one of your most brilliant ideas." Salazar chuckled.