Home Basics Rules Archives Discord
Hello, guest!
or Register?
News
1.6.22 -We are currently looking for students of all houses!

12.29.21 - We are OPEN!

12.28.21 -Our site is under construction!

As advertised on:
RPG-D RPG Initiative
RPG Rating:
RPG Rating 3 3 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's a Hit...Sorta (Founders)
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 223
When Helga mentioned Merrick already writing to Maximus, the implication being that the man had already been invited to the school, Godric watched a few emotions play out on Salazar's face. While he seemed quite in favor of the Raine's supporting the school, for Merrick to go over their heads and make an offer was, indeed, a little forward. Something that Salazar would not appreciate, considering how protective he was of the school, though hardly any more protective than the other three were. This was their life's work - their reputations, fortunes, livelihoods were depending on success so any threat or boon to the endeavor concerned them greatly.

Luckily, Helga attempted to reassure with her mothering-type of logic, in comparison to Rowena's logic which came from a place of the mind, logistics over heart. It's what made them an excellent pairing, if anyone were to ask Godric's opinion on the matter (which they usually didn't). However, that was just his opinion.

"Ah yes! Groundskeeper might be just the place. Nothing like some fresh air and green space to restore a man's mind and heart. Reconnect with the world that bore you!" Godric insisted. "Perhaps a bit of hunting and supervising the farm areas. After all, he's an eldest son of man with a great deal of land. He was born to do exactly that. While none of us mind supervising, just one less thing on our plates would be a blessing, as far as I'm concerned.

"But when we meet him, more will come out - his condition and abilities, let it all unfold naturally without a high pressure interview like we did with the others."
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

All Accounts Posts: 173
Rowena pursed her lips in a look of displeasure as she mulled over what her founding partners were saying. While she could agree with Salazar that gaining another student from a well-respected pureblood family would likely assist in their quest to fill the halls in the future, she had to think about more than just the quality of the blood they were bringing in. She wasn't opposed to the man touring the school but given how little they knew about his situation could they afford to hire him on? She still felt it was too risky.

Shaking her head slowly, her lips took a downturn which marred her face a bit. The frown went beyond her usual stern look and she just knew that wrinkles were likely forming on her forehead. But at the moment she couldn't hide her displeasure.

"I still say it's risky with so little to go on," she said as she leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms over her chest. "This could mean our reputation. What if he is too damaged and ends up hurting someone, especially one of our students? These young people have been entrusted to our care and I won't see that jeopardized by a man we know next to nothing about."

The raven-haired founder looked between Helga and Godric, thinking them to be too soft of heart in this instance. "I would exercise caution. No doubt he is likely already on his way, so we can't head him off before he arrives, but I certainly won't be rushing off to give him a job," she said sourly. The thought of that actually brought forth another reminder. "Oh, before I forget. There was a man that I sought out before opening the school to keep after the tomes in the library who should be arriving any day now. He's a rather well-traveled scholar by the name of Drexel O'Connell. He actually helped transcribe quite a few of the tomes donated to the school and since the library fell under my purview I jumped at the chance to bring him aboard."
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

Salazar would agree that it was a bit early to just offer this man a job, sight unseen. They would need to get to know him a little, observe him a bit to make sure he was stable once they knew what condition he was in. While keeping him outside would, yes, be the best thing because it was the farthest thing from the children as possible, it was still something he was uncertain about.

And the fact that the man was already on his way, that someone else had apparently extended an invitation to just tour their school without their permission rankled him.

If that wasn't enough, then Rowena announced that she'd hired someone on to tend to the library that none of the rest of them had met nor even knew about until this moment when it was too late. Did she not see the hypocrisy in what she was saying and doing? This made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

"From here on out, I would like to extend that there be no more random people invited into our home without all of our consent." He insisted, taking a drink with a now disgruntled look on his face. "This isn't a hospital nor a mission for lost souls. It is a school. Anyone who is not serving a real purpose or is fully vetted does not gain access.

"Yes Ro, I know that the library is under your purview for the most part. However, had I gone out and just hired someone to tend the forest or an assistant for my laboratory without anyone else' input, I doubt it would have put you in a good mood. So please, no more surprise hires or drop-ins! Is that really too much to ask?"
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 180
Helga noticed that despite her attempts to be helpful in the situation it in fact seemed to do just the opposite as far as trying to ease Rowena and Salazar on the matter. She finished her wine in the time the two replied, the more it seemed like things had not gone as she hoped the more her shoulders droop and her cheerful mood faded bit by bit. They both had some good points it what was wrong about what happened and Salazar in particular with pointing out Rowena had just done what she and Godric were getting in trouble for doing. She hadn't wanted to make this a big deal, wanting to simply explain the situation in a way that didn't seem like anyone was going behind anyone else back but it seemed she hadn't managed to do that.

By the time everything was said and out in the open, Helga had refilled her goblet, half of which she had already drank and now was held in her hands as she glanced slightly down at it. Maybe it was her tired state, maybe it was the amount of wine in her system but after feeling her attempt to explain the situation she suddenly felt a bit bummed out. A feeling of guilt formed in her chest at the disappointment she had caused her friends and possibly causing some trouble for Merrik as well. Just after he had done something so amazing in the dining hall too, this is how she had repaid him. Helga exhaled a small but heavy sigh, had she any form of animal like ears they would have been hanging low to match her sudden mood so instead it was her shoulders that hung low and their lack of the usual present smile on her face as she turned her goblet around and around in her hands. 

"Alright, no more hires or invitations without a full group consent. We are friends and more importantly a team, so we need equal say in things going forward. No more single projects, hires, or approvals without prior notice and discussion with the group" Helga said, glancing around the table at her seated friends. She didn't take note of the mild fuzziness of the background behind each of them, just that the room felt a little warmer than usual. Helga shifted a bit in her chair, brushing back a few strands of her hair that had fallen free to hang on her face. Thinking maybe it would cool her down she took a drink of wine, her mind not thinking clearly enough as it usually did that the wine was doing the exact opposite than she was assuming. 

She normally wasn't one to get so deep into the wine, settling for just a drink or two above her limit because she didn't like to go beyond the limit if she could help it. It was a sight she didn't like to let others see her in, even her friends though she had a feeling they had to have seen it at least once. Helga got a little too emotional when she drank, grabbed by whatever was strongest and boosted nearly ten fold. Mostly it was just overly happy and cheerful like an overexcited two year old having their best day. She could never remember what happened during that time but sometimes she had a feeling something happened so she tended to try and stay within her limits. Not realizing her lack of sleep over the last few days would help boost the effects of the wine, she didn't think twice about it when she finished what was in her goblet and debated on whether or not to fill it again.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

Godric was a little disappointed in all of them, himself included. This was supposed to be a party, a happy celebration. He should have known to wait for tomorrow - or at least until later tonight when they were a little inebriated. Then again, had that been the case, would Rowena have remembered to tell them about this random hire she suddenly decided that they needed?

Was Salazar seriously considering hiring a lab assistant. That would actually be a good role for one of his more advanced potions students to fill, if he was sincere on needing one. And he'd met plenty of students over the last few years who would be thrilled to have a way to earn money, if that was the case. Too many, in fact, who wanted to try and earn their way. Of course, Sal would never hire any of them because many of them were muggleborn. Damn his mother and the insane obsession that she'd instilled in her son's brain so securely.

And now Helga was getting down because the mood was coming down. She's always the one that tried to pick them up. If she was falling, what hopes did the rest of them have.

"It was a simple misunderstanding, I'm certain. One that we won't have happen again. Now, more importantly," he said as he stood up, abandoning his plate of food safely since his beloved companion was still out in the hall waiting for him. "Who wants more wine? And maybe a game of charades!" He sent an enthusiastic grin at them all despite the groan that Salazar emitted. Still, he only suggested it when Helga was a bit down. Between the two men, it was code for that situation. And frankly, they could all do with some cheering up. He knew Sal would agree - begrudgingly but would play competitively enough when the game was on.
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

Rowena pursed her lips slightly and narrowed her eyes at Salazar. If he wanted to bring on an assistant then of course she would trust his own judgment for such a position as that was his purview. The library happened to be hers since it held some of her vast collections. The rest of it was of course in Ravenclaw Tower to be enjoyed by her own personal house. What they had been talking about was a man who they didn't know from Adam, looking for a place that I didn't know where to put him. It was a big difference in her mind.

Before she could argue the point, Helga deflated which caught her attention immediately and she felt a pang of guilt. She reached over with her free hand and patted her best friend's hand. The other hand held her wine goblet which she raised to her lips and took a drink to hide her scowl. Now they were all in a mood.

Well except perhaps Godric who seemed rather determined to celebrate despite the sudden sour note floating through the air. She sighed as she lowered her goblet. She could feel a slight throb in her temple but she was determined not to have a headache tonight. It was why she had already removed the diadem. She raised a delicate brow as she looked at Godric.

"Don't you think it's a bit late for charades?" she quipped. "Honestly Godric, it's been a frightfully long and stressful day. If there is no further official business then let us finish our wine and tuck ourselves into bed."
Founder

35 Posts
4 Threads

When it came to matters such as sleep, Salazar tended to side with Rowena. Sleep was important to refresh the mind and keep it performing efficiently. If it was mandatory for their students to be in their rooms by a certain time to ensure they were well rested for the sake of their young minds to absorb as much as possible, then surely that should also apply to their teachers who were the substance that the little sponges should be absorbing from.

However, with Helga looking so down and the mood so sullen, a game of charades might be just what they all needed to pick up the spirits before bedding down for the night. "Now then Rowena, maybe a short game might be advisable. Or something equally vigorous, just to wind down from the day." He cocked his head in the direction of their two friends. With Helga down and Godric considerably up, it might drag them to a reasonable even level. It was better than letting one throw themselves into their work over night to pick up her spirits and the other from running down to the pub and getting into a fight or worse to work off needless energy.

However, in the end, he would leave it up to Helga and how she felt. She was the last to throw in an opinion and cast the final vote - as usual.
Founder

77 Posts
2 Threads

All Accounts Posts: 180
Helga debate on whether or not to refill her goblet was decided with a yes within a few moments it had formed in her mind and without realizing it she poured the remainder from the wine sack into her cup. She felt someone give her hand a pat and glanced over at her best friend who had noticed her drop in mood and was subtly trying to console her. She felt bad for making her friend worry about her, she was usually so good about refocusing attention off herself to not worry her friends and bring the mood back to its upbeat and positive light, though she had no idea it wasn't working as well as she assumed it did. 

She moved it up to take a drink when something poked at the inside of her mind. The usual strong voice there that directed and guided when it took note of someone needing a boost to their mood. More often it was when the mood around the four of them was dropping low and just past the growing fog in her mind she remembered they were also supposed to be celebrating the opening of the school. All the hard work and dedication they had each fueled in was now at work doing what they had set out for it to do or would be soon, it had only been the first day. 

Helga was reminded of that even louder as Godric suggested perhaps they play a game and if anyone wanted more wine. She moved her head around to look at her best friend as she replied her disapproval of a game, figuring it more logical they go to bed. What surprised her a bit was when Salazar seemed to agree with Godric rather than Rowena. She blinked, trying to get her slightly drunken mind to focus on what was going on when she realized all three now looked at her for the final vote on the idea. A small quiet voice in her mind was telling her that Rowena probably had the right idea, especially since she couldn't remember the last night she had a decent amount of sleep if any at all. Then again, if she tried to go to bed now something in her mind would wake her up at one point and end whatever sleep she was attempting to get so maybe if she tired herself out with a game and a good time she could sleep peacefully through the night. 

She glanced down at her goblet in her hand and realized it was empty again. When had she finished that off? Well it was only her third cup right? or was it forth? Helga couldn't quite remember and for a rare time she didn't really care, it was helping brush away the downcast mood sitting in her chest. Besides maybe it would knock her out for the night for a good deep sleep. 

Helga gave a small shrug then leaned forward to set her empty goblet onto the table. "I'm afraid if your looking for more wine, the wine skin is empty but if you give it three taps with your wand it will be sent back to the kitchen and a new one will arrive in its place. Its a nifty little trick the house elves can do, want to do in place of me using a spell or two in fact" Helga said, her tone a little more cheerful sounding again and there was even a small smile on her lips as the wine further worked its magic on her. "As for charades, well, I'm not all that sure I have the energy for it nor do I think I could stand seeing you trying to act out your charade of a niffler trying to steal a galleon hidden in my great aunts magical wig again but I do want us to do something to celebrate tonight somehow! Once official business is done that is. Its the first day of our magical school and the completion of all the hard work we have done to get prepared. Yes, we still have work to do tomorrow onward but its for the students of our school and we shall do it together as the mighty team we are. I'd say after all our hard work we should at least celebrate a little bit tonight, I know I will sleep a little better going to bed in a good mood." She glanced at her best friend and gave her a thankful smile and hoping Rowena wasn't upset with her not siding with her best friend on the matter. It was simply the last little bit of her working mind telling her she would get a better nights sleep tonight going to bed in a cheerful, possibly drunk mood than as they were just a few minutes ago.
Founder

115 Posts
6 Threads

While Salazar was willing to back him up, it seemed that the girls were against the game idea. Damn. He'd hoped it would help. Competition always did. Maybe tonight, after they adjourned, he'd head outside and get some exercise before bed. It would help shut his mind down. He had to break his fast with the whole school but he didn't have an actual class until the second part of the morning so a short nap wasn't out of the question. And it was just an intro class; not much to prepare for it.

At Helga's suggestion, Godric got up and traded the wineskins out. Sure enough, when he tapped it with his wand, it disappeared and left a full one in it's place. "Those house elfs of yours are to be commended, Helga." He grinned, filling his goblet near to the brim before moving around to fill up those who wanted more.

Returning to his seat with a little more food, he sank into chair, slouching a little. "I suppose you're right. Celebration is good, though maybe Charades are a bit much. Though I was thinking about that..." He realized, considering the subject. "It will be interesting to see the drive in our students. If they're supposed to be students that emulate our individual values, I believe it will be fascinating getting to know them - see what traits we actually do share with them. A societal experiment if you will." He knew that might intrigue Salazar and Rowena.
Founder

46 Posts
4 Threads
Undisclosed

Rowena's lips pursed slightly as it seemed the room was against her. Even the tired Helga seemed to lean toward the wishes of the gentlemen of the room, though perhaps maybe not as enthusiastically as Godric. Instead, she settled back in her chair to see how this would all play out. The fact remained, she was tried, she was drained, and she wanted nothing more than to curl up in her large, warm bed though it was a shame it would be alone. Alas, that was a problem for another night.

When Godric brought up a societal experiment, her brow arched and she took a sip of her wine. "An experiment in what way, Godric?" she asked as she lowered her goblet and studied the rugged man. If they weren't such friends she would have long ago considered a tussle with him in the sheets. But alas, her interests in him were, mainly, intellectual.

The raven-haired Founder eyed him warily. Of course, their students would be examples of what they valued. That is exactly why they were placed in their houses unless their magic was faulty which is something she refused to believe. Curious as to their companion's responses, she looked over at Salazar and Helga to see what they made of Godric's comments.